Due to its geographical situation, La Rioja has always been a passage area. This meant that since Roman times there have been important bridges to cross both the river Ebro and the other tributaries that also formed part of important roads and trade routes.
Nowadays we can contemplate these fascinating infrastructures all over La Rioja, some of them with 2000 years old and which have survived to the present day in a state of conservation worthy of admiration.
Below, we highlight some bridges in La Rioja from different periods that can be the perfect excuse to explore the region, discovering its most hidden villages and corners.
1. The Briñas Bridge over the Ebro River
The one known as Briñas bridge is one of the bridges that crosses the mighty river Ebro (the largest in Spain), in this case in the territory of Haro, although it takes its name from the town of Briñas due to its proximity to the latter.
It is a gothic style bridge Built with ashlar stone. It has 7 eyes, 150 metres long and 4.6 metres wide.
It is believed to have been built in the XVIth centuryduring the Renaissance period. It is a representative example of the architecture of the period and reflects the importance of the trade and transport routes crossing the river Ebro.
Both the bridge and the surrounding area enjoy great beauty.
2. Bridge of San Vicente de la Sonsierra
Following the course of the river Ebro we arrive at the bridge of San Vicente de la Sonsierra is located to the west of the town, below the castle, on the local road from Briones to Peñacerrada. It is the first thing we see if we access it from this road.
Due to its excellent position, it defended the Ebro crossing of the border between Navarre and Castile. It is possible that its existence dates back to 1172, however, the earliest preserved can be traced back to the 13th century.
It consisted of thirteen pointed archeson triangular cutwater piles and rectangular spurs and two defensive towers, one in the centre, and probably another at the entrance on the left bank. This construction was rebuilt at the end of the 16th century, becoming a bridge with twelve arches and a single tower.
It is built in ashlar and masonry. Nowadays, has nine arches of different lights and shapes.
3. Roman Bridge of Mantible
The Roman bridge of Mantible o of Assa del 2nd century It crossed the river Ebro between the district of El Cortijo in Logroño and the village of Assa in the municipality of Lanciego in Alava.
It has a 164 metres long and 5 metres wide, reaching a maximum height of 30 metres. It consisted of six round arches of which only one arch remains standing, the one on the Alavese side, with few remains of the remaining pillars.
Such was its importance that Miguel de Cervantes mentions it in "Don Quixote". and Peter Calderón de la Barca wrote a comedy entitled "La puente de Mantible".
Undoubtedly, this is one of the most important bridges in La Rioja. historical relevance. It was declared Bien de Interés Cultural in the category of national monument in 1983.
It is currently in reconstruction works of one of the 2 recently fallen arches.
4. Logroño Stone Bridge
Downstream from the Mantible bridge we reach Logroño, where we find the Stone Bridge One of the five bridges that cross the river Ebro as it passes through the capital of La Rioja. It is also called Bridge of San Juan de Ortegain reference to the chapel that existed on its left bank.
The current construction dates back to 1884after the collapse of the old bridge in 1871. It consists of 12 arches and is one of the symbols of the city, appearing on its coat of arms and being the entrance for the pilgrims who walk the Road from Santiago to Logroño.
For its part, the Logroño Iron Bridge is the oldest of the four bridges that the capital of La Rioja has to cross the Ebro. It was inaugurated in 1882 and is 330 metres long.
5. Ortigosa Bridge or San Martin Viaduct
The municipality of Ortigosa de Cameros has two bridges spanning a 50-metre ravine depth.
The first to be built was the iron bridge in 1910 linking the park of Santa Lucia with the caves.
The second and most characteristic is the St Martin viaduct built in one-arched concrete in 1924 and recently renovated.
The total length of the bridge is 97 metres and consists of three unequal sections, two straight side sections and a central arched section. The central arch spans the distance of 60 metres high, Its keystone is 40 m above the Alberco River.
Both bridges offer panoramic views of great beauty.
6. Roman Bridge of Cihuri in La Rioja
We return to the 2nd century to talk about another Roman bridge, the bridge of the Priory in Cihuri over the river Tirón which is preserved in perfect condition despite its nearly two millennia old.
In the immediate vicinity is the Priory House and a cave.
In summer it becomes a perfect bathing area to cool off with pools and the possibility of jumping from the bridge for the more daring.
Crossing the bridge you can start a path along the banks of the river Tirón that takes you to the exact point where the River Oja joins the River Tirónabout 800m away.
7. Bridge of San Andrés in Arnedillo
The bridge from Arnedillo It is built in ashlar and ashlar masonry, with a single semicircular arch resting on the same rock. It was built in the 16th century and connects the village with the castle, the cemetery and the chapel of San Andreas y San Blas.
The greenway that connects Arnedo with Arnedillo along the Cidacos river passes over the bridge. A picturesque spot in the middle of the ravine.
If you want to make a special and different gift, take a look at our Gift Cards.
You can also subscribe to the weekly newsletter de La Rioja Premium.